Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

2002 G500 Ignition Key/FOB

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
ciscotech2007

2002 G500 Ignition Key/FOB

Post#1 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:52 am

2002 G500

I researched keys and FOBs but did not feel like my questions were answered.

Bought my truck and it came with only one key/FOB. Clairification; when I say key I am referring to the metal key inside the electronic transmitter, when I say FOB I am referring to the electronic transmitter with the buttons.

What are my options to get another key/FOB set?

My truck came with the short FOB style which is nice.. but the NEW chrome key style is much better looking and appears it will fit into my ignition key area of my truck. Can I use the newer key on my 2002 even though my 2002 came with the short black plastic key?

Besides the FOB, who actually cuts the metal key that goes inside the FOB?

Where are some places I can get either FOB styles... both the short black plastic one I have now and the chrome newer style?

When I get a key how do you program it to work with my truck? Step by step details would be nice, that is, if you can program it yourself.

Can I only buy a NEW key that has NEVER been programmed to any other vehicle or can I buy a USED key and have it programmed for my truck by a mercedes shop or the dealer?

FYI, My truck does not have the keyless go option; where you dont put the key in the ignition, you can leave it in your pocket and push buttonn start the vehicle.

... I have a feeling mercedes is going to make this key process difficult and expensive... it's a key for gosh sakes!

Gelande

Re: 2002 G500 Ignition Key/FOB

Post#2 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:38 pm

I sent you a PM on these issues.
please see that, link is in upper left :idea:

tgoode3

Post#3 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:10 am

Gelande wrote:I sent you a PM on these issues.
please see that, link is in upper left :idea:

Could you please send me the link as well? I am currently running into these issues as well.

hand

Post#4 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:38 am

I'm interested as well!
2004 G500

UKRE

Post#5 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:31 am

For anyone reading this in 2019/2020, here is how to works.

Mercedes takes key security extremely serious. All Mercedes-Benz smart keys that use an electronic ignition come from a Mercedes facility in Dallas, Texas. There is no other source. If you go to your dealer, they put in an order form to Dallas. To order a new key, you need the car at the dealer with matching license and registration. They are expensive, often $250 or more. There is no way to reprogram a used key at all. Once the key is assigned to your car, that is it. It stays that way forever. Keys come pre-programmed. It depends on the year, but sometimes the work straight out of the box, sometimes you have to leave the key in the ignition to pair for an hour.

You can swap shells of old keys to new keys if they are the same size. This isn't something to do if you don't know what you are doing because if you screw something up or break it, and only have one key, you are screwed. You'll have to flatbed the truck to the dealer to order a new one.

Also remember, the key batteries have nothing to do with the function of the key starting the car. The batteries only run the function of the key to control the locks. You can literally take the batteries out of the key and it will still start the car. Also, be careful with them. Don't throw them or drop them on the ground. They can stop working at a moments notice now that they are getting up there in age, and if you are far away from your 2nd key, you are are screwed again.

cafe mosaic

Post#6 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:16 pm

id like more info too

efxguy

Post#7 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:12 pm

With my 2002 G500, the only option was the dealer. I only got one key and FOB in the sale. Delaership need proof of ownership and the VIN, then they order from Mercedes which in turn programs the FOB and cuts the key. It took about ten days for it to arrive at the dealer, they would absolutely not ship to me directly. Al told, the cost was about $300. There is also a limit on the number of FOB that can be programmed as well, I think more than four and you are out of luck.

The killing joke is that after i got my new FOB, I took the center console apart to run some stereo wiring, and what did I find inside by the parking brake? Yup, another key FOB. FML.

g-whiz

Post#8 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:38 pm

efxguy wrote:With my 2002 G500, the only option was the dealer. I only got one key and FOB in the sale. Delaership need proof of ownership and the VIN, then they order from Mercedes which in turn programs the FOB and cuts the key. It took about ten days for it to arrive at the dealer, they would absolutely not ship to me directly. Al told, the cost was about $300. There is also a limit on the number of FOB that can be programmed as well, I think more than four and you are out of luck.

I believe that is the number that can be active at one time and there is no limit to the number that can be made. Old keys can be deleted/blacklisted using STAR. Mercedes is very strict about key security. Even for the older, non-smart keys, they will not sell genuine blanks to licensed locksmiths. My local dealer requires the actual title to be presented along with drivers license and filling out several forms. 10 days seems like a long time to wait for keys though. They try to rush them so people can get back into their cars! I ordered some W124 keys a few months ago and it only took 2 days.
2002 G500 desert silver

Return to “DIY: Electrical Troubleshooting”