Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

G550 and G63 exhaust differences

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Lynch

G550 and G63 exhaust differences

Post#1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 am

Are there any differences between the G550 and G63 mufflers aside from the end exhaust tips?

Any issues with offroad clearance with G63 side pipes or even the G550 "down-facing" pipes?

Mostly curious if the volume/sound of both the G550 and G63 have any differences.

Lynch

Re: G550 and G63 exhaust differences

Post#2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:38 am

Comparing the G550 (left) and G63 (right) screen-caps from a Youtube vid, it seems like the clearance of the G550 wouldn't necessarily be better given how low it hangs?

Would love to hear if anyone has compared in person or experience with either pipes on their G.

https://i.imgur.com/npKNndC.png

Lynch

Post#3 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:48 pm

TTT

Winston

Post#4 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:32 am

If you happen to have VINs for each model then someone could post parts diagrams. But I don’t think you’ll find many people around here have much experience with G63.

FWIW my G500 has Brabus exhaust system with dual tips which exit directly under the running board. They hang too low for my liking. I’ve considered cutting them off above the frame rail, removing the running boards and having a more low profile tip welded on.
IG @oldironmash

Lynch

Post#5 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:03 pm

Winston, appreciate your thoughts on it.

I did more research in the past weeks and came to this observation:

Definitely do not go with G63/G55 AMG style side exhaust tips - these will not do in any sort of off-road situation. With that said, even the G550 "down-pointed" side pipes are at risk of being damaged but much less likely than the AMG style ones that are guaranteed to be crushed/damaged.

Further research using G550 VIN and the EPC showed that there are actually atleast two variants of the G550 stock muffler. There's a normal one and one that seems to be a "sport exhaust". Searched up some of the P/N on ebay and saw that the sport exhaust version might have a longer muffler dimension (to my eyes, resembles the same length as the muffler on the AMG exhausts/mufflers).

If I were to guess, the G550 "sport exhaust" is probably more similar to the AMG/G63/G55 muffler but with the G550 tips, while I have no idea what the G550 stock muffler is like without hearing it on a G550 in person as well as verifying the exhaust variant (hard to do so, as the EPC lists both options when using a VIN).

My guess would be my ideal balance would be the G550 sport exhaust paired up with Karl's rocksliders/OE running boards for the most subtle OEM appearance/sporty exhaust/offroad clearance balance.

Would be awesome if anyone has any experience/thoughts in this area.

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”