Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Driver's side floor carpet wet

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
1030bourbon

Driver's side floor carpet wet

Post#1 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:42 pm

I have a leak any time it rains on the driver's side floor. It does not appear to run up the firewall very high. There is no rust around the windshield and the gasket is tight; the winshield wiper shaft is [relatively] tight. The door gasket is soaked up to about a foot from the floor. I have the truck inside the garage with a dehumidifier going in it to completely dry it out and will troubleshoot next weekend.

A poster on another board suggested the heater box drains might be blocked. The drain channel under the back of the hood was full of leaves and I blew them out and removed several from the heater box. Does anybody know where the drains from the heater box empty out so I can try blowing them out? I have removed the door gasket to dry and will reinstall it; the spring in the gasket had been crushed in a couple of places and may not be sealing properly.

Any ideas appreciated.

jonathan joseph

Re: Driver's side floor carpet wet

Post#2 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:56 pm

I believe the heater box drains go through grommets in the floor pan under the center console, sort of in front of the shifter. I'll see if I can find some pictures for you.

Jonathan

Upon re-reading your post I think it would be unlikely for the heater drains to get the door gasket wet as you describe. How are the door gaskets? Could it be leaking in through the door? Also just because the wiper "shafts" are tight doesn't mena the caps are sealing well. This is a REALLY common problem. The shaft caps are cheap.
Attachments
Picture 7.png
460 heater box drains
Picture 7.png (536.59 KiB) Viewed 3399 times

DesertStar

Post#3 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:02 am

From the photo Johnathan posted, you can see access is only through center console...I am NOT sure if this is similar on a W463 chassis like yours. I would get a garden hose and see what happens when water entering the fresh intake area. On a clean W460, you will see water draining from the underneath, above the transmission through those tubes in JJ s photo.. Let us know what you find.
Mike

EDIT: curiosity got the best of me. The 463 does have similar drain setup as 460 as per EPC diagram. Issues like this usually come about from sloppy mechanic work or plugged up lines, backing the flow and coming out the seams of the HVAC unit.. Have you had anything done that required removal of the console ?(stereo etc ?)
Attachments
463hvac.JPG

inkblotz

Post#4 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:18 am

There are drain holes inside your door at the bottom. There could be something plugging those holes. If so the bottom of the door cavity will fill with water till it finds a way out. Are your door cards (panels) damp at the bottom? The best way to clear this is to remove the panel, pull the plastic sheet away and clean inside the bottom of the door.

I don't think it is the Heater/AC box as you stated that "The door gasket is soaked up to about a foot from the floor."

Mark

1030bourbon

Re: Driver's side floor carpet wet, MORE

Post#5 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:27 am

It isn't the door gasket, sorry to say.

The wiper shafts are rusted, frozen to the housings. The housings were freewheeling in the body.

I can get parts kits from Euro truck; I have looked in the manuals and on EPC and can't find the instructions for the replacement.

Is it possible to replace these without removing the dash?

Thanks.

Tristan

Post#6 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:20 am

Couple things:

1. Unfortunately, you cannot replace the wiper shaft seals without pulling the dash! It's a real pain....

2. I found a leak on my passenger side footwell (basically where the toes on your right foot would be while seated in the passenger seat) where the fender meets the firewall. There are drains on each side that get clogged. It's extremely difficult to see, but from underneath you can see light if the drains are clear. This actually rusted a hole through my upper floorboard! I was able to fix it by welding in a patch. It was very hard to diagnose, but I noticed it would get wet even when it wasn't raining but the roads were still wet enough to kick water up in there.

I hope that makes sense! It took me months to find, but I was quite relieved when I finally did.
Good luck, Tristan

dcurbet

Post#7 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:20 am

check your sunroof left front drain if you have one. 90% of the time thats the culprit. If clogged you can gently try some compressed air but dont go crazy as the drain connection can come off entirely under the headliner (which may be the case for you anyway but if so you should see more water coming through at the A pillar and the oh-sh** handle general vicinity)

vadimivanovich

Post#8 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:41 am

Scalding hot water and laundry detergent with an oxy-booster will go a long way to clean carpets - if they're pulled out. Otherwise I use the aerosol sprays with decent success.
"The way you think is the way you live"

TechMOGogy

Post#9 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:21 pm

Steam cleaner is a great tool to have as he cleans sterilize.
You can get cheap ones that produce steam in bursts or nes used by car detailers that produce constant steam at about 40-80psi
PUCH IT: 72 Haflinger Pathfinder - 75 Pinzgauer 710M 2.7i - 96 Puch 350GDT Worker

G Nome

Post#10 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:53 pm

I have used simple green back in the day with a good scrub brush.

Kent
Kent
If you need help...I usually have extra zip ties and duct tape.

Return to “Tech: Body, Chassis, Trim, Paint, Color Codes”