Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

G500 transmission won't shift outta first gear...

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Gelande

G500 transmission won't shift outta first gear...

Post#1 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:12 am

any ideas?

so far we are looking at the Control unit, and valve body....but any other ideas? All other functions work as they should, R, N, P, indicator on dash cluster, and there are no error codes being produced when plugged into the Star machine.

2002 G500 with 5 speed tip

Dai C

Re: G500 transmission won't shift outta first gear...

Post#2 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:55 am

I assume there is a control cable connecting the electronics. Pull that off and check continuity of each terminal. I would bet that could be the problem.

-Dai

Chris

Post#3 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:32 pm

Two Ideas, one question, does it ever work properly if you turn off and restart repeatedly?

1) Very common for a old/weak battery to cause this type of thing, apparently there can be enough juice to start the engine, but not enough for the TCM to operate correctly.

2) Some type of tasty beverage was spilled into the center console, seeping into the shift lever and/or TCM (transmission control module, which is under the selector lever/cup holder). Try taking apart all that stuff and drain a couple cans of electronic parts cleaner into it, may work fine when its back together.

aircruiser

Post#4 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:23 pm

Chris wrote:
2) Some type of tasty beverage was spilled into the center console, seeping into the shift lever and/or TCM (transmission control module, which is under the selector lever/cup holder). Try taking apart all that stuff and drain a couple cans of electronic parts cleaner into it, may work fine when its back together.

When the electronic switch part of the shifter if worn or contaminated and the transmission doesn't know electronically what gear is selected it will hold first gear, sometimes after a dramatic lurch when placed in a forward gear(722.6). If you leave the sunroof open in rain, spill your favorite beverage, old age and worn contacts can cause this problem. For me it was old age and worn contacts, only creating an issue with cold cabin temperatures after start on a cold day, slowly getting worse or lasting longer over the last few years. The clues for this problem are unspecified gear indications with Star and the D,4,3,2,1 lights not lighting up when in that gear with lights on, cluster on newer models. On pre-MBUSA models with 722.6 the shifter module can be removed and replaced or rebuilt/regreased and the electronic switch part field repaired or replaced, see photos.
Attachments
IMG_2790.jpg
IMG_2789.jpg
IMG_2788.jpg

AlanMcR

Post#5 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:03 pm

Thanks for the pictures! Mine is definitely due for a cleaning.
How easy is it to get this switch out? Does the shifter need to be removed first?
Also, was there any contact grease on the sliding contacts? Hard to tell from the pictures.
...Alan

AlanMcR

Post#6 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:08 pm

Gelande:
Is it for sure in 1st gear, and not 2nd?

A non-functioning TCU (including no power to TCU) should leave the 722.6 mechanicals in the limp-home operating mode, which is: P-R-N-2 only.

This is an underappreciated reliability feature of this transmission. The TCU can burn up and you'll still get home.
...Alan

aircruiser

Post#7 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:58 am

AlanMcR wrote:Thanks for the pictures! Mine is definitely due for a cleaning.
How easy is it to get this switch out? Does the shifter need to be removed first?
Also, was there any contact grease on the sliding contacts? Hard to tell from the pictures.

The shift selector is easy to remove from the car, 10 minutes, then the replacement and or serving can performed on a bench.

Removal of shift selector 463 <2002.
Hand brake on, transmission placed in N.
Lift up and rotate TC leather sifter boot.
Remove 1 screw securing the wooden shift/switch panel at the aft end.
Remove transmission shift handle.
Lift up the aft end of wooden shift/switch panel slightly to remove trim ring around shift selector.
Slide the front lip of this panel aft, lift, rotate, and place to the side with wires connected.
Remove 4 bolts securing shift selector to body. 2 10mm and 2 inhex/ Allen.
Remove 3 wire connectors from the shift selector.
Now under the car with a straight screwdriver and needle nosed plier to remove the shift linkage clip.
Remove shift selector to work on bench.

Depending on what service is required on shift selector plan on 10-45 minutes. 8mm and a few small flat head screwdrivers to release plastic clips and use as gentle pry bars. If you are going this far it makes sense to reference the exploded diagram to clean and regrease the mechanism.

Disassemble shift selector.
Place sifter in R.
Remove plastic cover over shift interlock, 2 8mm screws.
Remove wooden shift selector trim.
Remove the plastic PRND4321.
Lift up the electronic shift module and remove to replace or service.
Continue with disassemblely, clean and lube of mechanical parts of shifter, if needed.

The electronic shift module can be split open using small screw drivers to release clips and pry apart. No nasty springs or small parts will go flying out. The contacts on mine pictured has well defined score marks from corresponding spring contacts, I bent those out for increased tension and up for slightly different contact on the circuit board. I hosed down with electronic cleaner, it may be a good idea to put some dielectric grease on the contacts as well? I didn’t notice any grease on disassembly on the contacts. This is a 210 part number, about $120, replacement was my choice, but if you spilled your drink and it just needs a clean?

Reassembly is the reverse. Use the parts diagram. Tip, the electronic shift module has a reference for “R”, align shifter pin and module to “R” on reassembly, placing the pin into Y shaped groove on switch.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
ACFF5A50-8D8C-446C-AA5B-45340D60D2AE.png
C4E79F28-BA90-41FC-8A09-4C6704B16F1C.png
CEDE4BC7-44D9-4F4D-A7B1-32EB08FAD527.jpeg
8B60DB53-2BA9-4DAD-935D-F8DA29A60C00.jpeg

aircruiser

Post#8 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:14 am

AlanMcR wrote:Gelande:
Is it for sure in 1st gear, and not 2nd?

A non-functioning TCU (including no power to TCU) should leave the 722.6 mechanicals in the limp-home operating mode, which is: P-R-N-2 only.

This is an underappreciated reliability feature of this transmission. The TCU can burn up and you'll still get home.

Yes, it is a well thought out design.

In a perfect world with a non-functioning TCU you are correct. In a non perfect world, and with a malfunctioning TCU things seem to get more complicated, sending intermittent electronic signals for other higher/lower gears then locking you in that gear until another signal is received. A simple stop and restart will sort out the weirdness or finding a gear that sends a good signal.

Otiswesty

Post#9 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:23 pm

I have had the shifter selector apart a couple of times on my 1997 G300 this winter. My issue appears to be the electronic shift module. Initially, only the 1, 2 and 3 would light up, not the 4 or D setting. The trans was also reluctant to shift above 3rd even in a manual up shift. Driving on D at first start it would not shift above 3rd. I ordered and installed a new electronic module. After install, the 1-4 and D do not light up and the car gets stuck in 1st gear. I pulled it out and reassembled and still have the same problem. I suspect it is due to some error in reassembly. I can get it to light up the D briefly with some jiggling and then it will up shift....

Given my level of frustration with this repair, I am tempted to replace the whole preassembled shifter unit which is about $600 compared to the $96 for the electronic shift module. I have previously done that on the G500 with great satisfaction.

I will probably double check the TCU to make sure it is dry, before buying. On top of that I will still need a non-urgent trans rebuild, but would like to get this shifter issue cleared up first. An expensive series of repairs to get this car driving in top condition.
461.213, 463.241

Riff3x

Post#10 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:20 pm

hey i brought my G wagon a year ago i took it to the shop because my tail lights wasn’t working it drove find until i put a new rear sam in now it’s acting like the transmission slipping but when i brought it the seller gave me a receipt of things that they had got done to it and transmission was one it’s been in the shop a year now i only drove it for a week can anyone help me out with this problem

Return to “Tech: Transmission and Transfer Case”